International GT Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PCars setups database

3 posters

Go down

PCars setups database Empty PCars setups database

Post by Rhime Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:22 am

http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/bycar
Get your setups or upload them too.

Rhime
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

PCars setups database Empty Re: PCars setups database

Post by GamingCanuck Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:00 am

Moving this to gaming.

I usually find the default sets are alright, at least for the cars I normally drive but I will have to check some of these out to see if I can pick up a few tenths.
GamingCanuck
GamingCanuck
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhime Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Would this not be better off in it's own thread where it can be easily found by our members especially new members and drivers? I find the default settings to be less than satisfactory and can tell by the speeds and times others are getting. I know I don't drive much differently than anyone else..Smile

Rhime
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by ozpata Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:14 pm

one thing to keep in mind,

setups are not a magic formula or a hidden combo, setups are done to make the driver feel confident and comfortable exploring the limits, but they are a personal thing, a lot of times people try setups and find that they are either too difficult or all of a sudden they start to go faster, well it is always useful to go back to the base setup, as most of the time people get faster just because they are putting laps together and getting more intimate with the car.

most of the setups in Cars are well balanced, perhaps a bit in the conservative side, the secret is to do laps that can be very close to each other, following a pattern, specially in the braking phase into the corner, being irregular with those, leads to times being all over the place.

establish a line and try to be consistent, is not about being faster but being able to do a rhythm through out a race that always keeps a little something in reserve
ozpata
ozpata
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhime Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:24 pm

I disagree..setups can be a magic formula. Do real race teams run with stock setups? I think the idea of using custom setups and learning to drive with those will make you faster and a better driver. Most of us have moved on from being new to the sim, know the car we have chosen and want to get faster.

Rhime
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by ozpata Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:09 pm

there is not such a thing as a magic formula, cars get designed with a specific set of capabilities, being f1 or something done as a third party like F BMW, through a set of calculations the team establishes a baseline setup which might be what you call a stock setup, the objective of that setup is to confirm certain values and attitudes, then that baseline is refined with base data or more refined calculations, if they use any type of chassis software for example to make it drivable so that it makes sense from the get go to the driver.

the next step usually is to establish the parameters and dial in the car, on track to confirm calculations, values and changes

top teams and categories, even when they are talking about big changes in setup is basically working on frequencies on suspension, dampers and such and most of the rest is done as a reaction to what the track is giving them, because of temperatures and changes of grip, the setup gets refined through out a season and most of it is because of changes and understanding of what the car wants to do(reacts) as a package to new parts, conditions

each driver has a very unique way of driving, even when the data shows that they are almost identical in time, the way they achieve their goals is very much unique to each one and each driver prefers certain attitudes, responses, feel, that gives them confidence, most of the time if you give fast drivers different setups and given the time to understand how they are working, the difference in lap time is not that big, is just that they prefer to have a set of characteristics that become more natural to the way they drive.

is hard to compare to real life, but the way we used to do it is sending him out while he gets references to braking, steering lock, gears and establish a line, then try to shorten brake distances, balance the brakes, while measurements in temperature control that the tires use their contact area in the right way, and then you move on to other things like diff, aero, in sim racing you have far more time to toy around with settings, but it is always easier to get lost in a setup than to make it work properly

the first aim should be able to do consistent lap times, that way you can really understand a lot of the changes and know how each one works with each other or affects them, there is no harm in trying others peoples setups, but have to keep in mind what controls they use, in what settings and how they drive to achieve those times and if they are usable in long runs or is a one lap thing that make you feel like you are playing ping pong with the track on a race that is 20 o 30 laps long.
ozpata
ozpata
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by GamingCanuck Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:57 pm

Rhime wrote:Would this not be better off in it's own thread where it can be easily found by our members especially new members and drivers? I find the default settings to be less than satisfactory and can tell by the speeds and times others are getting. I know I don't drive much differently than anyone else..Smile

It is in it's own thread, but I find it's better suited in the gaming section rather than an area where race info will be posted. I will sticky the thread, however, as it can be useful to newer racers.

Regarding setups being or not being the magic formula, for road racing I think they can only help so much. With oval racing a good setup can make the difference between top 5 and top 25, that's from my own personal experience. With road racing there's just so much the driver can do to find speed throughout a lap, setups can help but I don't think it will take someone who usually finishes 20th and then with a good setup they start finishing in the top 3.
GamingCanuck
GamingCanuck
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down